Monday, February 8, 2010

Why I Don't Have a Facebook or Friendster Accounts

As Facebook celebrates its sixth birthday, I am blogging about some of the reasons why I am yet to create a Friendster, Facebook or MySpace account.

Privacy Issues


The first thing that I do, before interviewing shortlisted applicants, is check their Facebook or Friendster accounts. I learn a lot about people just by checking their profiles, activities, friends, etc. There is a saying, "Friends of the same feather..." This is a small world, the possibility that we (me and my officers) would know somebody in your friends list is very high. If you by any chance, will give me a doubt as to your integrity because of the lifestyle that you project through your facebook account, forget your chance of getting hired by yours truly.

I also dread the thought that other people would be looking at the profiles and photos of my love ones. If the people that I have been forced to sue will try to get back at me, they can only hurt me through my family. I didn't get this high by being weak. I have walked on fire and survived. having said that, I, also have weak points. They are my family and I don't want people to find them.


Privacy Settings? Forget it.

You just can't hide through your privacy settings. There are many ways to get past that. I don't know how to hack but the net provides ways on how to legally find you.

Malicious People

Bad elements are also very good in going around firewalls. Are you aware of the hacking incident in China, where the gmail accounts of journalists were hacked/secretly monitored?

Here's another one--> Hackers

To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. hi sir, thank you for visiting my blog and for leaving your two cents on one of my posts.

    on your post: i do know a lot of people who, like you, would not like to create their own facebook account, for the same reasons that you mentioned. when security of your family is concerned, then that becomes an entirely different thing since there's so much more at stake.

    well, i hope you enjoy the rest of the week and hope you get to drop by my blog once in a while.

    best regards,
    erlyn of http://bluerlyn.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. No "Sirs" in this blog..

    Hoy! would be enough. hehehe!

    See you around.

    ReplyDelete